Do you love to have a cup of coffee 100% home-made by yourself? If the answer is YES, knowing how to roast coffee beans at home will be the very first step. A homemade coffee cup will help you to save tons of time and satisfy your daily dose of caffeine.
There are only 3 simple steps to follow: choosing coffee beans, roasting, and storing. Let’s dive right in!
Table of Contents
How To Roast Coffee Beans At Home?
With only three easy steps below, roasting coffee beans by yourself will never be a challenge for any coffee lovers.
Step 1: Choosing unroasted green coffee beans
Generally, the coffee beans may halve in size after roasting. For example, if you love to have one pound of roasted coffee beans; it is a must to prepare two pounds of unroasted ones.
In terms of flavours, coffee beans with different origins will not give you the same tastes. For example, Central or South America provides the coffee beans with a complex combination of floral, sweet and citrus flavours. In contrast, the Middle East or East Africa have their coffee beans with sweeter and richer flavour.
Besides, we also recommend Indonesia coffee beans with the earthy flavour. Or, if you love a smooth taste, don’t forget to go for the Caribbean origin.
Step 2: Roasting
Choosing suitable roasters is the second essential step. There are three common types, including pans, ovens and popcorn machines.
- Step 1: Turn on the kitchen hood and open the window for smoke ventilation.
- Step 2: Put the pan on the stove at the heat of 450°F.
- Step 3: Stir coffee beans in the pan.
- Step 4: Get a light roast after 5 minutes with the first crack of the coffee beans.
- Step 5: Get a medium roast after about 7 minutes in this second crack.
- Step 6: Turn off the oven 30 seconds after the 2nd crack.
- Step 7: Put the beans into a colander for cooling down.
- Step 8: Wait 10 hours for the coffee to degas.
- Step 1: Pre-heat at the heat of 500°F.
- Step 2: Turn on the kitchen hood and open the window for smoke ventilation.
- Step 3: Spread the coffee beans on an oven tray.
- Step 4: Place the tray on the middle oven shelf.
- Step 5: Get a light roast after 7 minutes with the first crack.
- Step 6: Get a medium roast after about 10 minutes with the second crack.
- Step 7: Take the tray out of the oven 60 seconds later.
- Step 8: Stir the roasted beans in a colander and wait for them to cool down and to degas.
- Step 1: Prepare for the smoke to ventilate well by opening the window and turning on the kitchen hood.
- Step 2: Preheat for half a minute.
- Step 3: Add an adequate amount of beans into the machine for an efficient rotation.
- Step 4: Use a wooden spatula to start moving the beans inside the machine.
- Step 5: Get a light roast after 5 minutes with the first crack.
- Step 6: Get a medium roast after 8 minutes with the second crack.
- Step 7: Let the machine roast for another 1 minutes and turn off the popcorn machine.
- Step 8: Cool the beans and let them vent CO2 down in a colander.
- Step 9: Store.
Step 3: Cooling and storing
When the beans are in the perfect roasted stage, it’s time to turn off the heat and let the coffee beans cool down. Without the heat, the roasting still continues because of the hot container. Hence, we suggest you change another container without heat and use a fan simultaneously. The cooling process is done when the roasted beans reach the room temperature.
Next, you prepare glass bottles or sealed foiled-lined bags to store the beans.
Brewing the coffee beans right after roasting is not recommended because they need time to degas. Then, you can try your charming cold brew coffee about ten days later.
Well, learning how to roast coffee beans at home is not not completely a head challenge. It takes only minutes to get all things done, and you will have a delicious cold brew coffee to enjoy in no time.
Try to do the roasting process by yourself right at the comfort of your house. And don’t forget to share your experience. We are looking forward to hearing from you!